Wine Tours and Tasting Around Leavenworth
Cascade Valley Wine Country
A new wine region has appeared amongst the rivers, lakes, and mountains of North Central Washington. Bordered by the towering Cascade Mountains on the west and sagebrush covered hills on the east, vineyards and their attendant wineries are rapidly appearing throughout the area. The winemakers of this area have banded together in the belief that the influence of the Cascade Mountains and the broad rivers and lakes makes the region unique amongst Washington State’s winegrowing areas. In recognition of this they are calling the area the Columbia Cascade region.
There are many wineries producing top quality wine in the Columbia Cascade valleys. Several more are slated to open in the near future and many others are in the development stage. The varieties being grown and bottled include familiar varieties such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, as well as less well-known varieties such as Roussanne. The wines range from the driest of the dry to sweet complex late harvest and ice wines.
The Columbia Cascade area includes Grant County north of Interstate 90, Douglas, Chelan, and Okanogan Counties. There is a wide range of climates and soils throughout the area. The common influence throughout the region is the Cascade Mountains. The mountains maintain dormancy during the winter thanks to cold air descending from high altitudes. At the same time many sites are frost free from April 1 through October 31, ample time to ripen even the most demanding grape varieties.
Touring the beautiful valleys of the Columbia Cascade area provides constant variation in scenery. Water is constant throughout, with rivers and lakes everywhere. From lush forests in the west to sagebrush in the south to mixed sagebrush and pine in the north, the eye is always rewarded with beauty. Recreational opportunities abound; water skiing, snow skiing, snowmobile riding, hunting, fishing, horseback riding, nationally recognized golf courses, or just plain relaxing. Lodging in Chelan, Leavenworth, Soap Lake, Wenatchee, and Winthrop can range from budget to luxury, from quaint to stunning views of great beauty.
Limousine Wine Tours
Le Tours’ (Leavenworth’s Enchanted Tours, LLC) and Leavenworth Adventures & Tours
Phone Toll Free 1.877.868.7720
Leavenworth, WA 98826
Le Tours’ offers a number of different winery tours around Leavenworth. See the sample below or visit their website for more great ideas.
Winery Tour Description – Enjoy a (3 hour) tour of 3 or 4 of the best wineries Leavenworth has to offer. This is a routine tour that departs out of downtown Leavenworth every weekend.
Days Available – Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Departure Time – Friday @ 3pm / Saturday @ 11am and 3pm and Sunday @ 12:30 pm.
Cost – $55.00 per person plus tax. Individual wineries may also charge $3 to $5 per person for tastings.
*Upon request this tour is available for groups of 6 or more Monday – Sunday except for major holidays. The tour times can be extended for group tours.
Blue Sky Outfitters Wine Tours
Leavenworth Wine tasting at its finest.
Phone Toll Free:
Leavenworth, WA 98826
Your Blue Sky Outfitters adventure is over 3 hours long, so you can relax and enjoy the great wines of the Leavenworth Valley.
Winery Tour Description – Meet in the heart of Leavenworth and travel to local wineries with Blue Sky Outfitters in the Adventure Bus with plenty of room and large windows for you to enjoy the gorgeous views. Enjoy a (3 hour) tour of some of the best wineries Leavenworth Washington has to offer.
Days Available Wednesday -Sunday
Cost – $55.00 per person plus tax. Individual wineries may also charge $3 to $5 per person for tasting. (usually free with purchase)
Downtown Leavenworth Wine, Chocolate and Ski
February 14th – 17th 2013 – 12:00 – 5:00 PM
Contact: Leavenworth Tasting Rooms
Location: Downtown Leavenworth
Phone: 509.548.5807 or 509.433.1054
Tasting price varies at each location.
Baroness Cellars will be featuring Red Meritage Blend and Merlot
Bergdorf Cellars will be featuring 2003 Syrah and 2006 Lemberger
Cascadia Winery 509.548.7900 a family owned and operated winery, will celebrate Red Wine and Chocolate on Fri, Sat. & Sun., Feb. 10th-12th only from 11:00-5:00pm.
d’Vinery Tasting Room 509.548.7668 Featuring Eagle Creek Winery will be sampling 09 Cabernet Sauvignon, 09 Cabernet Franc and 2010 Gewurztraminer along with chocolate from Schocolat. There will be a $3 pp tasting fee which will be waived when you purchase a bottle of wine.
Icicle Ridge Winery
509.548.7019 Red wine lovers this weekend is for you! Experience Icicle Ridge’s finest wines paired with Schocolat, Leavenworth’s premier chocolatier. Join us Sat. 2/12 & Sun 2/13 from 11-5pm. $5 per person.
Kestrel Vintners 509.548.7348
Featuring Flight of wine with Schocolate’s chocolate. Flight of 3 wines: 08 Cabernet Sauvignon paired with Sea Salt Caramel Chocolate, 07 Malbec paired with Bittersweet chocolate, 7th edition of Pure Platinum paired with Sunshine Coast chocolate. The price is $15.
La Toscana Winery 509.548.5448 will offer all their wines for this event along with chocolates.
Monaco’s Corner Store 509.548.7216 Will be featuring select wines from local wineries along with some chocolates.
Okanogan Estate& Vineyards 509.548.9883
will be serving free samples of our Bellagio Sipping Chocolates along with our wines. Bellagio is a very smooth, rich, easy warm chocolate that can be served in many different ways. It is non-alcoholic so even our under 21 fans can enjoy samples.
Pasek Cellars 509.548.5166
Enjoy decadent baked goods from Homefire’s Bakery paired with a selection of delicious red wines from Willow Crest Winery out of Prosser, WA and delightful assortment of dessert wines from Pasek Cellars out of Mt. Vernon, WA. Willow Crest 2009 Syrah, 2009 Cab Franc and Cab Sauv Ruby Port. Pasek Cellars 2009 Tulip Red, Blackberry and Raspberry Port Style Dessert.
Ryan Patrick Vineyards 509.888.2236
Featuring Reserve Cabernet & Reserve Chardonnay and Chocolate.
Silvara Vineyards 509.548.1000 Leavenworth’s newest wine destination, offers it’s red wines with chocolate hearts: delicious dark chocolate bites with a hint of spice designed to complement the wines. You’ll find a fire in the fireplace and friendly people. The wines alone are worth coming for, but the location is special, too. You’ll be glad you stopped by Friday, Sat. & Sun., Feb.11.12 & 13: 11am -5pm.
Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort at Kingfisher Restaurant and Wine Bar 509.548.6344, adjacent to the Icicle River Trail, will be featuring Theo’s Dark Chocolate Pot served with Organic Banana Compote paired with Magpies’ Nest Red. $5 per person. Dinner reservations available. Open at 5pm daily.
Stemilt Creek Winery 509.888.5357, will be pouring the 2006 Stemilt Hill Red, 2006 Cab Sauv and the 2007 Days Work. We will have chocolates to accompany these great wines.
Swakane Winery 509.662.1928 will be pairing our 2008 Cab with Swakane Truffles and our Wild Blackberry Dessert Wine with Cheesecake. And after you wine taste why not treat your sweety to lunch and a glass of wine in our Bistro.
Leavenworth Wine Walk
Contact: Leavenworth Chamber of Commerce
Location: Downtown Leavenworth
Phone: 509.548.5807, 509.433.1054
The Leavenworth Wine Walk is a fundraising event for the Cascade Foothills Farmland Association to promote Agricultural Tourism in North Central Washington
- Cost is $40 per person or $75 per couple which includes a souvenir wine glass, tasting of up to 60 different wines, Wine Walk Passport for prizes and discount coupons. Live music at the Gazebo and unique Leavenworth shopping included.
- Hours: noon to 6pm. Tickets available at the Leavenworth Visitor Center, 940 Hwy 2, on-line at www.visitwashingtonfarms.com and the Gazebo the day of the event. Phone 509.548.5807 or 509.433.1054 or go to websites www.Leavenworth.org and www.visitwashingtonfarms.com for further information.
- Participating Wineries: Baroness Cellars, Bella Terrazza Vineyards, Bergdorf Cellars, Cascadia Winery ,Chateau Faire le Pont, Crayelle Winery,Eagle Creek Winery, Jones of Washington, Horan Estates Winery, Icicle Ridge Winery, Kestrel Vintners, Okanogan Estates & Vineyards, Pasek Cellars, Ryan Patrick Vineyards, Silvara Vineyards, Snowgrass, Snowdrift Hard Cider, Stemilt Creek Winery, Swakane Winery, Willow Crest Winery.
- Stroll through Leavenworth and enjoy entertainment at the Gazebo. Sample wines from 20 different premier Northwest wineries.
- Price includes: Souvenir wine glass, information & Wine Walk Passport for prizes and discount coupons.
Leavenworth Wine Festival
Contact: Hank Manriquez
Phone: 509.433.1054 or 509.548.5807
Location: Smallwood’s Harvest, 10461 Stemm Road, Peshastin, Smallwood’s Harvest
Join us for the 12th Annual Leavenworth Wine Tasting Festival
- Pick up your FREE Wine Bag at the welcome booth!
- Enjoy wines from Local and Regional Wineries
- Gourmet food
- and much more.
- Located at Smallwood’s harvest 2miles east of Leavenworth, Washington on Highway 2. this yearly event draws people from all over to sample Washington wines in a unique mountain environment. Enjoy entertainment while sampling wines from local and regional wineries.
- Cost is $40 pp or $75 per couple. Tickets can be purchased at the event, Leavenworth Chamber of Commerce, or online at www.visitwashingtonfarms.com. Military personnel can show their ID and get 10 extra tokens for wine tastes.
- Includes commemorative wine glass
- 12 tokens for wine tasting
- entertainment and more
- Wine & Cider Sales throughout event
- Hours: noon to 6pm, Free parking available.
- Free shuttle service from downtown Leavenworth starting at 11:30am till 6:30pm. Bottles of wine can be purchased to take home or drink while listening to the live music.
- Proceeds go to the Cascade Foothills Farmland Assn., a non-profit organization representing and promoting Ag-Tourism in North Central Washington.
- Music will start at 12 noon with the Glenn Isaacson group.
- Baroness Cellars, Bergdorf Cellars, Bella Terrazza Vineyards, Crayelle Winery, Cashmere Cider Mill, Chateau Faire Le Pont Winery, Horan Estates Winery, It’s 5 O’clock Somewhere Distillery, Jones of Wshington Winery, Kestrel Vintners, Lake Crest Winery, La Toscana Winery, Marchetti Winery, Magpie Winery, Okanogan Estates, Pasek Cellars, Silvara Vineyards, Snowdrift Hard Cider, Snowgrass Winery, Stemilt Creek Winery, Swakane Winery, Waterville winery, Willow Crest Winery.
- Add a 3 hour Limousine Wine Tour of 3 or 4 of the best wineries Leavenworth has to offer by calling Le Tours’ at 877.868.7720.
Chelan Wine Festival Events
Lake Chelan Wine Growers Association
Visit their website for additional details.
- Red Wine & Chocolate – February – 2nd & 3rd Weekends in February – One of our favorite events in the wine valley and it’s so romantic! We’ll be pairing all kinds of delightful chocolates and treats with red wines during these two weekends. More details here.
- Chelan Nouveau – April – 3rd & 4th Weekends in April – Traditionally this weekend is a celebration of new whites and rose’. It’s your first opportunity to taste new releases and enjoy spring in the valley. More details here.
- Spring Barrel Tasting – May – 3rd Weekend in May – We roll open our cellars doors twice and year and this is your chance to taste wines straight from the barrel, really special! More details here.
- Crush – October – 1st & 2nd Weekends in October – A chance to see inside the winemaking process during our most exciting time of the year. “Crush” is really an open house at our wineries, offering the opportunity to really get a taste of what harvest is about. We invite you to come out and take a tour through our cellars, stomp grapes, listen to music, watch harvest take place, taste juice from the press, and learn what it is really like to make wine. Each winery has their own experience, so make sure to visit individual winery sites to get the full list of what is going on.
- Fall Barrel Tasting – November – Friday, Saturday, & Sunday following Thanksgiving. What a way to spend the remainder of Thanksgiving weekend. Join us as we guide you back into the cellar for barrel samples and other special treats.
- Red Wine & Chocolate – Always the 2nd & 3rd weekends in February
- Chelan Nouveau – Always the 3rd and 4th weekends in April
- Spring Barrel Tasting – Always the 3rd weekend in May
- Crush – Always the 1st and 2nd weekends in October
- Fall Barrel Tasting – Always the weekend following Thanksgiving
“The experts said wine grapes won’t grow in the Wenatchee Valley. Warren Moyles was just stubborn enough to try proving them wrong. When he did, beleaguered apple farmers got an alternative crop”
by Andy Dappen,
Articles on Washington Wines in the Columbia Cascade Area
Avalon.com – “Columbia Cascade Region” “Next spot for cult WA wines?”
The Great Leavenworth Wine and Food Festival
Columbia Cascade Winery Association and Icicle Creek Music Center, Leavenworth, WA
Sponsored by: Columbia Cascade Winery Association, Icicle Creek Music Center, Viking, Leavenworth Winemakers and chefs, Debbie Douglas Designs
“The Main Event”
- 11am – 5pm FestHalle – Downtown Leavenworth
- Taste great wine and food bites, and attend guest chef demonstrations
- The Main Event, $35 online or $40 at the door, includes: souvenir wine glass, great wines to taste from 20 – plus wineries, great food to taste from 10 plus local restaurants, cooking demonstrations, win bottles of local wines. Meet winemakers and chefs.
- The Dessert Finale, $20 on line or $25 at the door, includes: souvenir wine glass great wines and decadent desserts.
- Combined ticket, (both events) $50 on line or $65 at the door.
- Guest celebrity Chefs presenting cooking demonstrations – TBA
- 1:00pm – Chef Tim Putnum – Smokeblossom Restaurant
- 2:00pm – Chef DJ Macintyre – Seastar Restaruant and Raw Bar
- 3:00pm – Chef Brandon LaVille – Archery Bistro
Some of Wineries:
- Bella Terazza Vineyards, Baroness Cellars, Chateau Faire Le Pont, Copper Mountain Vineyards, Dutch John Private Reserve, Eagle Creek Winery, Esther Bricques Winery, Horan Estates Winery, Icicle Ridge Winery, Lake Crest Winery, Napeequa Vintners, Okanogan Estates, Stemilt Creek Winery, Swakane Winery, Tsillan Cellars Winery, Vin du Lac, Wapato Point Cellars, Waterville Winery, Plus Its 5 Oclock Somewhere Distillery.
- During the Wine Festival we also invite you to enjoy the Leavenworth International Dance Festival at the Gazebo downtown.